Meeting Customers Where They Are
Are you meeting people where they are? This boils down to making your business easy to find by putting yourself in the places where your customers spend the most time.
Your customers aren’t ignoring you, they just can’t hear you!
Are you meeting people where they are?
Americans are spending less time with all major media, with ONE exception: 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐒!
Think about it, when was the last time you…
…bought a disposable camera?
…unfolded a map for driving directions?
…brought a quarter for a pay phone?
…looked up a phone number in a phone book?
From cameras to communication, smartphones have 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐃 our lives. We live in a world where we have a computer in our pocket, we can “just Google it”. If you don’t have a plan to reach your customers on their phones you will get left behind!
Here are the top three ways to reach people on their phones:
Build a List
It’s essential to have the ability to communicate with your customers when you want.
In the past, businesses have relied on media outlets to get their message out, that is no longer necessary. Just imagine if, when, you had something you wanted your customers or potential customers to know you had a way to tell them WITHOUT paying a media outlet. That is exactly what building a list does.
Here are the top 3 ways a business can build a list:
- Run a contest where people give you their phone number and email address as part of the entry.
- Create a loyalty program where your existing customers give you their phone number and email address to earn rewards from you (virtual punch-card)
- Offer special promotions only to those that sign up for your list
Pro Tip: build an SMS (text message) marketing list, not just an email list. With open rates exceeding 90% SMS is the best way to reach your customers or potential customers on their phones. No other form of communication can offer that! Plus, 78% of people want businesses to communicate with them via text message.
Utilize social media
Social media is the leading way to find new customers. The biggest mistake businesses make when they utilize social media is, they fall into the trap of wanting social media “presence.” They want to be seen. Social media presence is a false measure. You can’t take “likes” to the bank.
Your social media marketing should lead to sales, not likes.
Here are the top 3 ways to increase sales with social media:
- Utilize the social media platform that your customers, or ideal customers use most frequently, not the one you prefer.
- Make sure the Facebook Pixel is installed on your website. This is a free tool provided by Facebook that allows you to know which Facebook users visit your website.
- When using Facebook, DO NOT boost. Instead use their ads manager, a free tool provided by Facebook, to create ads.
Make sure your website is mobile FIRST!
Today more people than ever are accessing your website with their phone rather than a computer. Almost 80% of people will view your website on their phone. If they can’t get the information they need from your website on their phone, chances are they will never visit your website again.
Use Google’s free tool to see if your website is mobile friendly, or what needs to be fixed: