What is your USP “Unique Selling Proposition”
What do you do better than anyone else?
“You get fresh, hot pizza delivered to your door in 30 minutes or less — or it’s free.” Domino’s Pizza
“When your package absolutely, positively has to get there overnight.” Fedex
“The King of Pop.” Michael Jackson
“We're number two. We try harder.” Avis
What is a USP?
“Unique Selling Proposition” is simply a marketing term, used to describe what makes a product, service business or person different.
It says why someone should buy from you (or buy into you). Bigger, smaller, faster, longer, easier, prettier, smarter - are all things to consider about products or services when creating a USP. And the list goes on and on!
Crafting a USP – What makes you different – Things to consider
- What you are providing
- Differentiate from competitors (remember competitors AND competition)
- Identify Value
Crafting a USP – What makes you different – Questions to ask
- What does your perfect customer really want?
- How can your product or service solve their problem(s)?
- What factors motivate their buying decisions?
- Why do your existing customers choose your business over your competitors?
Make your USP stronger
- Create an Offer – an offer is a good way to create urgency and entice people to “give you a try”
- Include an Unbelieveable Guarantee – Backing up your USP with a guarantee not only can make your USP stronger but can create confidence in your company for a potential buyer – it can become part of your USP if your competitors are not offering the same guarantee
Put your USP to work
For a USP to be effective you need to use it in your advertising. This could be paid ads, social media posts, print materials, even the culture of the physical location. Highlighting your USP, especially in comparison to competition and competitors, is a great way to grab attention.
What is your USP? What do you do better than anyone else?